The Thunder Indigenous Rugby Fund was relaunched in 2021 with the ambitious goal of raising a $1 million endowment fund to among other things, support a tour of New Zealand to connect with the Maori Rugby community. Due to COVID complications in New Zealand, this plan has been deferred, and in its place is a Summer 2022 tour of Oregon and California on the way to the Los Angeles Invitational Tournament, held in conjunction with the HSBC LA 7s.
View our latest brochure in .pdf format
Program Description: The Thunder continue to soar, promoting the great game of rugby to Indigenous communities in Canada. The Thunder focus on Sevens Rugby, an exciting version of rugby which is now recognized as an Olympic Sport.
Goals: Thunder Rugby aims to offer a structured vehicle to promote the game of rugby to Indigenous communities and to identify potential high performance Indigenous athletes. Thunder Rugby hopes to provide Indigenous youth with improved opportunities for advanced education and personal growth through the connections and values of rugby.
- Fund an annual rugby tour for Indigenous Youth, starting with NZ in 2022
- Develop a full-time Thunder Rugby Development officer position
- Continue to offer Summer Rugby Camps for Indigenous Youth
- Showcase Indigenous athletes at 7s tournaments
- Grow programs for U18, U16 and U14 Indigenous youth
- Introduce rugby to Indigenous communities
- Expand coaching staff and facilitate coach development.
Facebook at www.facebook.com/ThunderIndigenousRugby/
Twitter at twitter.com/ThunderRugbyCA
USE THE FORM BELOW TO DONATE TO THE THUNDER INDIGENOUS RUGBY FUND: