The Ancient Nor’Westers Endowment Fund was established May 20, 2011.
Established in 1974 by graduating University of Alberta players, the Nor’Westers Athletic Association (NWAA) offers sports and recreation programs to the Edmonton Alberta Region (ages 3 through 65).
Spring/summer programs include men’s, women’s, youth (under 5’s to under 18’s) rugby. Winter activities include hockey, wrestling, and fitness activities. Recreation, family, and social events are held throughout the year. Nor’Wester members have represented Edmonton, Alberta, and Canada as athletes, coaches, and administrators at events across Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Since inception the Nor’Westers have been active in hosting; city wide, provincial, national, international events/tours. At home and abroad via careers and through sport and recreation, we take great pride in promoting Edmonton and Alberta to the world. We are very proud to celebrate 45 years of excellence, sportsmanship, camaraderie, and competitive spirit in Alberta.
The Nor’Westers take their name from the culturally diverse group of entrepreneurs who formed the Northwest Trading Company. In the 1700s, men such as Alexander McKenzie and their guides, trapped and traded for furs while exploring and charting the Canadian Northwest establishing forts and the first settlements in Alberta over two hundred years ago. Many of these individuals formed the fur brigades that annually transported furs and goods by canoe across the country. Our crest and logo honour the fur-hatted trader/explorers and their native guides on a canoe voyage through forests and mountains on a Northwest River. Our enterprise and adventures honours their spirit.
The Nor’Westers have developed and continue to develop a facility located at the new Ivor Dent Sports Park located at the corner of Ellerslie Road and 50th Street, just off Anthony Henday Drive. The Ivor Dent Sports Park is operated in partnership with three additional sporting organizations, Edmonton Minor Soccer Association, MTRS Club Soccer Society and the Punjab United Sport & Heritage Association, and the City of Edmonton. The Park is a first class tournament facility featuring 24 fields, parking, dressing rooms, stands, concessions and playground facilities. The site hosts local practices and games as well as a wide range of tournaments on a municipal, provincial, national and international scale.
Nor’Westers Mission, Vision, Values & Goals
Our Mission Is…
To provide a positive environment and premier facilities to foster the growth of the sport of rugby. We strive to promote involvement in the game, provide rugby playing opportunities to individuals of all abilities and ages, and to develop player athletes to their highest potential.
Our Vision is…
To provide the best possible rugby instruction giving each player, whether youth or adult, the opportunity to reach their individual potential. We strive to ensure that each player will be able to have fun, make new friends, experience the unique culture of rugby, and learn about participating positively in a demanding team sport.
NWAA Core Values are Respect, Teamwork, Discipline, Excellence & Fun
- To play as one Club;
- To encourage each player to experience and enjoy the culture of rugby, and to have FUN in playing the sport;
- To inspire in our players a strong work ethic, where discipline, integrity, honesty, humility and passion combine into strength of character;
- To foster an environment of teamwork, camaraderie, dedication, discipline and respect;
- To develop a framework for achieving excellence, for both our players and coaching staff;
- To aspire to the very highest standards of play; and
- To create respected ambassadors for the sport of rugby.
Our Goals are…
- To build, from the ground up, an inclusive rugby club that sponsors all levels of play including youth, senior, and old boys/old girls programs;
- To encourage the development of a rugby family ethos, providing the warmest welcome to new players and providing mentoring support for all;
- To highly value volunteerism, fostering positive growth of the game and providing support of every club member both on and off the field;
- To dedicate ourselves to the creation of a professional rugby organization with the highest quality coaching staff, and passionate and engaged members who will support its growth;
- To develop championship rugby teams that have a solid club identity and access for our players to Rugby Canada’s Developmental Pathway; and
- To welcome and to provide a home Club for all athletes.
USE THE FORM BELOW TO DONATE TO THE ANCIENT NOR’WESTERS ENDOWMENT FUND: