Purpose: A scholarship in honour of Judy Seddon’s vast contributions to rugby in Alberta for over 35 years.
Judy Seddon has been the ultimate ambassador for rugby for close to four decades. Her early playing days were with the Edmonton Coven Women’s Rugby Club, where she was part of the initial surge of women’s rugby in Alberta. Her support for women’s rugby continued throughout her life as an ambassador and firm voice in the advancement of the women’s game. As the backbone of the Alberta rugby community, Judy volunteered for the Edmonton Rugby Union, Rugby Alberta, and Rugby Canada. She has held numerous positions over the years such as the Edmonton Rugby Union registrar, website manager, statistician, fundraising chair, Vice President of the Ellerslie Rugby Park Board and Rugbyfest Treasurer and Chair. If there was a rugby event taking part in Alberta, it was likely Judy was there and even more likely that she was helping out with the event in some capacity.
Judy is affectionally referred to as ‘Rugby Mom’ and her unwavering commitment, passion and dedication to registration, administration, and many other facets of growing the sport of rugby have gone above and beyond what would ever be expected from a volunteer position. Her efforts have been recognized by multiple organizations, including by the Edmonton Rugby Union as the Most Valuable Administrator and Hall of Fame Inductee, by Rugby Canada as the 2017 Volunteer of the Year, and by the Governor General of Canada with the award of the 2018 Sovereign’s Medal for Volunteers. Judy’s leadership was unquestionable, as well as her strong will and sense of diplomacy to get the job done. Judy’s commitment and passion for the game will be missed, but the legacy she leaves will continue to inspire the community to dedicate themselves to the game in her honour.
Founding Donors. The following donors are recognized as founding donors for contributing $1,000 or more to the Judy Seddon Memorial Fund:
- Alberta Rugby Football Union
- Chris and Janene Wilson
- Conor Pullin
- Devin Vandenberg
- Gerald Telidetzki
- Graeme Young
- Karla Telidetzki
- Maria and Mozac Samson
- Peter Rowe
- Randall Seddon
- Roger Smith
Cold Lake Penguins RFC
- Edmonton Rugby Union
Ellerslie Rugby Park Inc
- Fairfield Watson Inc
- Parkland Rugby Club
- Rockers Athletic Club
- Rugby Alberta Match Officials’ Association
- St. Albert Rugby Football Club
- Strathcona Druids RFC
This scholarship will be awarded annually to a young woman who is involved in rugby in Alberta as an athlete, referee, coach or volunteer, selected on the basis of community service and academics, who is or will be enrolled in a post-secondary institution.
A current female student who is:
- Involved in the sport of rugby as a player, coach, administrator, volunteer or referee.
- Enrolled in a full-time degree (graduate or undergraduate), diploma or certificate program at a Canadian college or university for the academic year commencing in the year in which the scholarship is granted. Students commencing their studies in the Fall are eligible.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply in a subsequent year.
- Successful recipients may not apply again.
- The scholarship is conditional upon the acceptance and continuance in the educational program of the applicant’s choice. Verification of acceptance will be required.
- The award recipient must agree to have her name and photograph publicized. Judy Seddon’s family may wish to personally award the scholarship if feasible.
Applications open May 1st and close July 15th. The successful applicant will be notified by July 31st. Only the winner will be notified.
An application can be submitted via this Google Form: https://forms.gle/MMcpRN1PxqUwyTFx7
The Google Form is the preferred method of application, but if there are issues with the above form, the applicant can instead e-mail the information listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Applicant’s full name, date of birth, address, phone number and e-mail address.
- Name, address, program and year of study for the educational institution you will be attending in the fall.
- A 250-word letter, describing why you would be a worthy recipient of the Judy Seddon Memorial Scholarship. Include your contribution to the rugby community, other volunteer activities, your academic achievements, your most important accomplishments and your future goals.
- Two letters of reference (PDF files please).
- Name and contact information (phone and e-mail address) for the individuals who provided the two letters of reference.
GO HERE TO DONATE TO THE JUDY SEDDON MEMORIAL AWARD FUND AND SCROLL DOWN TO THE FUND NAME: