George Jones Q.C. is well known in both athletic and legal circles. His resume is lengthy and legendary and includes appearances and successes at virtually every court level, fundraising, coaching, refereeing in many sports and at many levels. Blessed with fine oratorical skills, legal judgment, an innate sense of wrong and right together with a complete lack of financial sense and generosity to all regardless of circumstances dictates that George is still working hard after 50 years at the bar.
George was born in Victoria. His father was an admiral and knew the value of discipline and hence George was sent to Brentwood College School at that time located in Mill Bay, he spent 1 year at Brentwood, the rest at Lakefield in Ontario. George’s career at Brentwood ended when he blew up the toilet in the changing room by mixing chemicals and water which we are given to understand is why he became a lawyer and not a chemist.
From there George attended law school at UBC and married early and had 5 children. Times were often tough due to George’s propensity to bet all on the wrong horse. Nevertheless graduation was achieved and a short career with Revenue Canada followed. Either or both Revenue Canada or George came to their senses and George has spent the last 50 years defending individuals in Tax Court and bailing out rugby players from various situations and occasionally and sporadically billing clients strictly on Robin Hood principles. Two more children followed together with countless loyal and loving friends. George’s roast in 2012 was attended by 300 people at the Empress and raised 50,000 for the George Jones scholarship.
One of George’s most ardent passions is for the sport of rugby and he is a co-founder and first director of the Canadian Rugby Foundation .
Please visit click here to view the application form.
NOTE: You will receive acknowledgment of receipt within 48 hours. Please send application to firstname.lastname@example.org
A current male or female student who is involved in the sport as a player, coach or administrator:
- Involved in the development and expansion of the game;
- Enrolled in a full-time degree (graduate or undergraduate), diploma or certificate program at a Canadian college or university for the academic year commencing in the year in which the scholarship is granted. Students commencing their studies in the Fall are eligible.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply in a subsequent year.
- Successful recipients may not apply again.
- The scholarship is conditional upon the acceptance and continuance in the educational program of the applicant’s choice. Verification of acceptance will be required.
- Applications may be emailed, mailed or couriered. Faxes will not be accepted.
- The award recipient must agree to have her/his name and photograph publicized. He or she must be prepared to promote the scholarship as requested.
1. Involved and devoted to the game but does not have to be an active player.
2. Must be involved in helping expand the game of rugby in places like inner cities, first nation reserves, small towns, immigrant communities, etc.
3. Must be able to demonstrate current involvement in the sport.
1. A completed application form;
2. A letter, not more than 250 words, describing the reasons why you would be a worthy recipient of the George F. Jones Scholarship. Include your contributions to the rugby community, how you have helped expand the game, other volunteer activities, your academic achievements, your most important accomplishments and your future goals;
3. Two letters of reference from the two individuals named in your application. One must be someone who has been involved with you in the rugby community;
4. An electronic photograph in .jpg format. We would prefer if the applicant is wearing a rugby jersey in the photo but that is not required (once submitted the photo will be the property of the Canadian Rugby Foundation).
NOTE: Items 1 to 4 above must be e-mailed to email@example.com to complete the application process.
Applications may be submitted by email, mail or courier no later than September 1st at 4pm PST.
Canadian Rugby Foundation
709 Yates St.
PO Box 8003
Scholarship winners will be notified by September 30th. Only the winner will be notified. The scholarship committee thanks all applicants for their interest in the George F. Jones Scholarship and wishes them success in the classroom, on the field and in the development of the sport of rugby in Canada.
USE THE FORM BELOW TO DONATE TO THE GEORGE F. JONES AWARD FUND: